Tuesday, February 26, 2013

elephant in the room.

I just got back from a National Geographic screening of Battle for the Elephants here on the Hill. I don't think I have ever really posted about my deep love of elephants but, yes, elephants are far and away, no question, my favorite animal. They are so wise and smart. They are gentle and are of course known to mourn. Physically, they are astounding and I love that they can hear through their feet. They sweat profusely on their face when they are scared and female elephants stay together for their lifetimes. On safari days in Uganda, I could have watched the elephants for hours.

All of this is to get to the point about poaching. This has been a big issue for Kerry here on the Hill and something he has actually been working really hard on for years and because of that I have become more sensitive and aware of the details of what is going on. This film, Battle for Elephants, is really well done. It seizes on the different issues and angles of this genocide that is happening right now and it is airing tomorrow (February 27th) on PBS at 9:00 EST.

Here is a preview. Go and watch it. If nothing else, at least turn on your t.v. and tune it to PBS for the hour, ratings matter and so does this issue.

Watch Preview on PBS. See more from Battle for the Elephants.

No comments:

Post a Comment