Tuesday, November 12, 2013

12 Years A Slave.

Sunday afternoon, Ben and I went on a movie date. I think the last time I went to a movie was over a year ago so it was about time. We went to see 12 Years a Slave. Have you all seen it yet? It is intense. Seriously. I was so tense watching it that Ben had to massage my back this morning. Not kidding. But, it is well worth the watch.

It is powerful and hard to watch. The scenes can be uncomfortably long and the director uses sounds and silence to make an impression. You should definitely go see it.

Also interesting is that in 2009, Ben and I went on a date in NYC, one of our very early dates and we went to see Hunger at the IFC Center. I still remember it because the movie was so intense. After, the director/producer was there and spoke. Hunger was based on the hunger strikes in Ireland. Anyway, the director/producer was Steve McQueen - the same for 12 Years a Slave, and you can recognize his style and hand throughout it. I remember the way he used sounds and silence in Hunger and his reluctance to cut away from a scene when it is uncomfortable. Not to mention, Michael Fassbender starred in Hunger and absolutely deserves an Oscar for his role in 12 Years a Slave - he is brilliant. In short, I am taken by McQueen's work and you should go see this movie. Trailer below to peak your interest even more...

No comments:

Post a Comment