Tuesday, October 15, 2013

meeting time.

It has been a busy busy fall so far and this past week was no exception. It was a special weekend though because it was the meeting of our mothers! My Mom came east from Denver and Ben's mom came down for the weekend and it was a very good time. I will tell you later about our date night (just Ben and me) on Thursday, and right now just get to the good stuff.

On Friday night we went to dinner at Zest. Ben and I went there three or four years ago and kept meaning to go back. It is a nice neighborhood joint but all in all we were underwhelmed by the meal. That said, it was a great place for a first meal. And for the moms...

On Saturday we went out to Mount Vernon for the day. Note: it is privately funded - day 12 of furlough.
It was a little rainy but actually turned out to be a nice day to wander the grounds and fly through the house tour.
On the way back to DC, we stopped at Society Fair in Alexandria for sandwiches. Great spot if you are in town!
We paired off for the afternoon. Ben and his mom headed to a bar to watch the Michigan game and my mom and I stayed home to talk about life. And after that, we reloaded with pizza and friends from the just opened Red Rocks on H street.

Sunday was far more low key. We had a lazy breakfast, wandered around Union Market and the farmer's market and went for a long walk around the neighborhood. We dropped Ben's mom off at the airport and headed up to Chevy Chase area for a date with my Mom. She wanted to buy me my belated graduation gift with me - a beautiful pair of earrings!

For Sunday night dinner, Ben went big and made Zuni Cafe's Roasted Chicken + Bread Salad. It was phenomenal. I mean really really good. Zuni Cafe is a fantastic little restaurant in SF. Ben's best friend, Matt, adores it and it also just so happens to be where Hannah and Jordan went to celebrate after getting married. We went there a couple years ago for lunch and had this dish and loved it. Ben nailed it on Sunday.

On Monday, before my Mom left, she invited Sweetie Cake over for breakfast at the house. My Mom had mentored and tutored Sweetie Cake forty years ago when she lived in DC. Sweetie Cake was 13 years old at the time. I have heard about her for years and finally got to meet her!

And that was it. Ben and I had a full afternoon yesterday which I will also fill you in on but as far as the mothers go, they came, they saw, and they triumphed!

No comments:

Post a Comment