Sunday, October 20, 2013

visiting time.

It was a weekend of visitors. Friday night I had to work late but Uyen came up from North Carolina for a quick visit (less than 24 hours) and so Emily, Uyen and I met up in Columbia Heights to rehash Vietnam stories! On Saturday, Uyen and I went over to the National Portrait Gallery.

We both sat and stared at this painting, Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains by Albert Bierstadt, for a while. (Click here for a close-up).

And if you ask me, this is the most impressive thing in the Portrait Gallery, if not all of the Smithsonians. Every time I go, I stop and am amazed. These are the castings of Lincoln's hands. And the castings of his face were from two separate seatings. One right before he took office, and the other just months before he was killed.

Unfortunately, Uyen didn't stay long in DC. She had to grab an afternoon bus so after a quick lunch and some walking around, she was off.

And today, Maddie was down from New York, so she came over with Emily for breakfast/brunch, we hung out at Union Market, and did some shopping in Chinatown. A great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment