Tuesday, March 20, 2012

assigned reading.

Two weeks ago I read this profile in Newsweek on Aung Sung Suu Kyi. I was reading it for some background on another topic I was researching and it has been in my head ever since. You have to read it. Go. Now. Read it.
I already knew a good deal about Aung Sung Suu Kyi, about Burma, and of course Hillary's visit last fall only helped to bring attention to it all. But my god, this story. Again, go read it now. I promise you will finish it and be moved (it isn't long but you have to work yourself into the first couple paragraphs). Her life and story are tragic...and yet not over. We usually read these profiles on the front page of the NYTimes as an obituary, and here we have history and such an incredible story happening in the moment. If I haven't convinced you yet, let me put it this way, this is one of the ultimate love stories. In terms of integrity and honor, I am not sure who else quite comes close to the standard she is setting. I am in awe. Just struck and wowed and inspired by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment