Wednesday, August 8, 2012

uber up.

Everyone should join Uber! That is my message for the day.

Erin introduced me to it last week and it is beyond great. For those who don't already know or need that extra push, here is the deal. It started out of San Francisco and is now in 19 cities. Uber is set up so that when town cars are between reservations or aren't chauffering anyone, they can log-on and pick people up to make more money on the side. For the rest of us this means that you just download the app on your phone and if you need a ride someplace you can ask for a car to pick you up. It immediatly sends a car to you and usually takes between 2 and 7 minutes to arrive in my experience in DC. It is credit card only, no cash, no tip. They charge a little bit more per mile than a taxi but since the tip is factored in, it really is just a touch more. The drivers are nice, you avoid crazy DC taxis, and you get a sweet ride in a town car. Classy!

My only fair warning on this is that I am not big on taking cabs. I think it is a total waste of money. Having Uber on your phone and just being able to charge a credit card makes it a little too easy to justify a quick ride when you really should just take the bus. That said, I can't help with your self-control but will recommend Uber. Go. Download. Now! (oh..and if you use my link when you sign up, I'll love you - uber.com/invite/g6u01).

No comments:

Post a Comment