Thursday, March 7, 2013

black list - sri lanka.

I talk about my travel wish list a lot and Sri Lanka would be at the top except that any travel here would be inexcusable. Any money spent would support the government there. Not to mention, I think traveling to a country is your personal endorsement of the country. I have been reading and watching Sri Lanka for years. Its history is tragic, the violence is devastating and the government's brutal repression against the Tamils is just disgusting. I finally finished reading this recent report by Human Rights Watch, "We Will Teach You a Lesson", documenting the use of sexual violence by the Sri Lankan Security Forces and it is a harrowing reminder of what is unfolding and getting so little attention. I hope one day to be able to visit, but in the meantime, put it on your black list and think about supporting Human Rights Watch for their incredible work and advocacy around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment