Friday, November 9, 2012

abe.

I know, I know, it is Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis, but I am just going to say it, I am worried about the new Lincoln movie.

Here's the thing. I know my Abraham Lincoln. Seriously though, I really really know my Lincoln. You see, we share the same birthday and my Mom latched on to this coincidence early in my life. Yes, there was a family vacation that happened in Illinois so that I could visit every possible Lincoln site. This included meeting the Director of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency at the Lincoln Tomb. I also memorized the Gettysburg Address, had a printed out Lincoln quiz that I would give dinner guests at our house, and read every possible book I could on him. My border-line obsession with Lincoln was encouraged with Lincoln themed gifts around the holidays and my birthday and there may have also been a shrine to him in my room growing up.

So, here's my point. I just think that this movie has to take a lot of liberties. Starting with his voice, facial expressions, the dialogue and conversations, and even basic mannerisms. It does look good, but there is so much unknown and I don't know that I want it in my head. Tough call! I love Daniel Day Lewis and he looks incredible. What do you all think? Are you going to see it?!

**Update on this since posting - the San Francisco Chronicle loves it - click here for their review!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Mary! I recall that trip to central Illinois and your wonderful enthusiasm and your subsequent exchange of letters w/ H! I'm so happy to see that you are still the purest/purist Lincoln student.
    Best wishes, Cathryn Wood

    ReplyDelete