Monday, May 19, 2014

dresser finale.

It took me a bit longer than expected, but over the weekend I finally finished the dresser drawer project that I had posted about in March (click here if you don't remember). The project itself was straight forward, trace and cut wall paper to fit the sides of our dresser drawers. I loved the floral design from the original link and inspiration, but Ben thought it was too feminine, so I went with a pattern that is more geometric and neutral. My only tip for the future is to start with the sides of the drawers that you won't be seeing as much since there tends to always be a learning curve with these projects. Obviously you want the sides that will get the most visibility to be the best. In any case, here is the short of it....

I bought sample wall paper sheets from Spoonflower. They are just $5 and I didn't need a big roll of wallpaper for this. I then traced the sides of the drawers on the wallpaper...

After, I used a box cutter to carefully cut out the tracing...

I used this Zinsser SureGrip Adhesive mixed with water to glue the wall paper down on the drawers. Admittedly, I struggled with the air bubbles and because the surface of the drawers are not smooth, there are definitely wrinkles, but frankly, not many people are coming over to pull out the drawers and really it is just me who will notice the minor imperfections....

And here are the final results....



Not bad, right? I like the peaks of the design when the drawers are open and the colors blend well with the rest of the bedroom, so all in, it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment