Tuesday, January 10, 2012

travelogue ~ bay area.

Oh the Bay Area. It is one of my great fortunes that one of my brothers and my sister happen to live in Oakland and Berkeley. I get a regular California fix and a taste of the latest out by the Pacific. (I am just going to report back on SF for now and will get to wine country soon). This visit was a lot of good family time and basically a lot of eating. And, for those who didn't see it already, Oakland placed in the #5 spot for places to go in 2012 according to the NYTimes, so you should think about a visit. Let me break it down for you with some highlights!

Flying into SFO...you feel like you are about to land on the water before touching down...
Upon arrival, Olivia took me into SF and we walked around the Mission and grabbed a bite to eat. I spent a summer, five years ago, working for a non-profit here, so I love seeing the neighborhood. 
I went to the Old Oakland Farmer's Market with Olivia. Man they have good farmer's markets in this part of the world!
Went to Rick and Ann's for breakfast in Berkeley. Highly recommended!
Olivia and Yuri have a great house right in Berkeley in the thick of it! So we also did a lot of hanging around. Perusing stores in Rockridge. And went to see "We Bought a Zoo" (Yuri and I cried, Olivia was ready to walk out - split review). 
Mom got into town on Christmas night and Ben came in on the 27th. We proceeded to eat more. Immediately after landing, Ben and I went to the Outer Sunset for coffee at Trouble and some of the best grilled cheese we have encountered at Outerlands. Outerlands is a great spot. No reservations and quite a wait but well worth it. Our food was fantastic. The inside is quiet, laid back, and cool. And, you could make an afternoon of it, walk a couple blocks over and hang out at Ocean Beach.
Ben and I stayed in my brother's house over in Oakland for a couple days and had it to ourselves as J+H were in South America for the week. I love this old truck parked just up the street!
Mom treated us all to a dinner at Pizzeria Delfina in San Francisco. The pizza lived up to 
our expectations.
After dinner, Bi-Rite Ice Cream was bought and enjoyed!
Ben and I ran around Lake Merritt every morning and subsequently fell in love with Boot & Shoe Service right by the Grand Lake Theatre. We stopped in for coffee and discovered, hands down, the best coffee cake we have ever had. (On our next visit, we definitely want to go for dinner or a drink, but didn't make it this time around!). 
We also had two great meals. First at Plum Restaurant in Oakland and next at Wood Tavern. The grilled double pork chop at Wood Tavern was one of the best dishes we had on the trip. Words can't do justice to the marsala cream sauce...simply delicious.  
Olivia, Mom, Ben and I also ventured out to Alcatraz for an afternoon. We were surrounded in fog during the ferry ride and on the island, but it did finally break on the way back to SF. Alcatraz was quite something. 
Of course, we made sure to stop in at Blue Bottle in Oakland. Ben stocked up with enough to make sure the entire overhead compartment on return was filled with the sweet smell of blue bottle goodness!
Mom, Olivia, Ben and I also made a quick pit-stop to take in the view from Treasure Island. Gorgeous!
Ben and I took an early morning walk around Berkeley campus. It was quiet. We had the place to ourselves....except for the man walking his cat on a leash and the two frat boys playing frisbee on their bikes.
We got to see Jordan+Hannah+Stella after our week in wine country on the back end of our trip. They took us to Slanted Door in the Ferry Building, which was a place Ben and I had been wanting to go to. They also introduced us to Sight Glass coffee in SOMA. The building was incredible, a huge space with great light and this industrial feel. Loved it!
We also went to Tacubaya. Our Taco de Pastor (pork) hit the spot and Ben would say the Sopa de Tortilla was the highlight of the meal, it comes highly recommended!

And best of all, we got our much deserved quality time with Stella! Stella took her first steps down in Uruguay right around the New Year and she was full on walking by the time we left. Her smile and full kisses are the sweetest thing you'll ever know. She is babbling and exploring and cuddling and more. I just loved these photos of Stella and my brother checking out the view from upstairs!
There was a lot more to our time in SF. Parts I am leaving out include a lot of time driving in traffic, glorious weather, great drinks and breakfast with some of Ben's friends, bowling with Olivia and Yuri, and more. But, I'll stop, you get the idea!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you two stuck around until we got back. It was wonderful to see you as always, Mar! xoxo

    ReplyDelete