Tuesday, May 7, 2013

got milk.

I am finally coming to terms with the fact that I think I am mildly lactose intolerant. Ben likes to say that everyone is. I don't know if that is true but it has taken me a while to admit that maybe I shouldn't be drinking as much milk as I do. You see I was raised on milk. Mom stocked the fridge full with gallons of milk and that was all we had in the house to drink besides water. As such, I love milk.

I know everyone says that but seriously, I really love milk. Is there anything better than a bowl of cereal with cold cold milk? No. Well yes, a glass of milk with chocolate chip cookies trumps that. Anyway, I am now experimenting with milk substitutes to see if I can find anything that comes close. This week, I have been trying Almond Milk. Don't worry Mom, all the substitutes actually provide more calcium and nutrition than a regular glass of milk. Based on what I have read, here are the obvious supplements to try:
  • Soy Milk
  • Almond Milk
  • Rice Milk
  • Coconut Milk
  • Hemp Milk
Any suggestions or thoughts? Have you all developed any lactose intolerance? Oh and an interesting tid bit, did you know that yogurt is more digestable than milk? Explains why I don't have any problems eating yogurt!

1 comment:

  1. I suggest you do some more pro/con reading on all the milk alternatives before picking one in particular. Some contain preservatives and additives like sugars and synthetic vitamins. I avoid soy milk and most soy products because of the sugar and the phytoestrogen content, which may increase the possibility of breast cancer in some women. Rice Milk has few nutritional benefits... Also, while the alternatives may have added calcium, the product itself doesn't necessarily have all of the nutrients to help your body absorb that added calcium so you might be better off getting your calcium from yogurt or cheese. Just some thoughts...

    ReplyDelete