Friday, December 2, 2011

'tis the season.

It's grapefruit season! I love grapefruits. Love! Every Christmas, Grandpolly and Bill used to give us a big box of fresh grapefruits and oranges from Florida. It was always from Pittman&Davis and the big yellow box was a sign of the season. I strongly recommend Pittman&Davis...makes for a great holiday gift. Anyway, to the point, you can imagine how happy I was in Whole Foods today when I saw the bounty of fresh grapefruits.
And then that got me thinking about how particular I am about the best way to cut and eat a grapefruit. I like to think I am someone who can listen to another person's perspective and respect our differences. But, when it comes to cutting grapefruits, there is only one way, and it is my way! Let me explain. 

Start with your halved, fantastically, juicy, red grapefruit!
Now, you see, each individual piece of grapefruit needs to be cut. All three sides. Yes, it probably takes 30 more seconds in the process but the patience pays off because you don't have to dig out the bites or use those ridiculous razor spoons. This way, you end up cutting triangles of glorious grapefruit! Some people (wrong people), will just take a knife and cut one big circle around the entire grapefruit and cut through the walls of each piece. No! This is considered a blasphemous act. Do not ever do this again!
 See...each individual piece will just pop out. 

Wa-la! And, at the end of your feast, you have the beautiful skeleton of the grapefruit left over. Now, toss that in the trash and go eat another!
Just remember, the lesson here is that there is only one way to cut a grapefruit. Do not listen to people who tell you otherwise, including B. They are mistaken and sadly not enjoying the full grapefruit experience. One day they will recognize this universal truth and right their ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment